Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Fail-Proof Banana Walnut Muffins

I have to admit, I'm feeling a little hypocritical with this post.  It was only a year ago that I was eating vegan and blabbing about how important miso is to your immune system.  The thing is, I have always loved sweets.  Make me choose between the most incredible creamy artichoke dip and a chocolate chip cookie and I will always choose the cookie.  But I also believe that food heals.  No, I'm not talking about how that chocolate chip cookie will fill an emotional void that will then make me feel complete.  I'm talking about the healthy stuff!  The miso, the dark leafy greens, the brown rice.  Eat that stuff!  It's good for you.



Banana Walnut Muffins:
Makes 12 medium-size muffins

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (one stick), softened
1 egg
1 cup plain or flavored yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups ripened banana, mashed
1/2 cup crushed walnuts

Heat oven to 350F degrees.  Fill a muffin tin with paper liners.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugars, butter, egg, yogurt and vanilla.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.  Fold flour mixture into butter mixture.  Stir in banana and walnuts until just incorporated.  I use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin tin.  Fill to top of paper liner.  Bake 35 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes, then move to wire rack.  Eat for dessert.  And breakfast.  And between meals throughout the day.

My mom gave me this recipe right after I got married.  It's fail-proof.  You can use the basic recipe with any fruit you like.  It's great with apples and cinnamon, sprinkled with raw sugar on top.  You can also make this in a 9x13" pan.  I usual prefer that because I hate washing the muffin tin.  Plus, it's much more difficult to calculate how much you've eaten.

3 comments: